Friday, September 9, 2011

Full page layout 9/2011

Panel 1

Panel 2

Panel 3
Here is the first entry in hopefully an ongoing series. I am trying out a new inking technique and thought the best way to do that is do a page (or a few) and see how it turned out. On the whole, it turned out better than I thought.
I did have some concerns-the first of which, would this get too repetitive page-after-page? My brush technique is pretty rough and using a lot of heavy blacks (IMO) doesn't work over time. Maybe for a stand-alone piece but afterwards, you're just going to get lost. We can't all be Mike Mignola! The second was my layout. Does it "grab" the viewer? For a working theme of "Castlevania-ish" I think it does. The dark and somber atmosphere with a brooding lone hero comes through in just these better than I initially thought.
That being said, I can see some technical mistakes I made that I should correct. I think my line weights are a little funky and not fully taking advantage of the "brush" part of it. I also could go a bit further in the ink and less gray. I also think my pencils could be a bit tighter.
 The full page is 8.5" x 11" ( 21cm x 28cm I think for those metrically inclined). Using a pentel brushpen and a prismacolor 60% gray marker
For page 2, I am thinking of tackling another genre, this one as a Western (in honor of my friend, Sally Anderson who has her first book coming out next month).

No comments:

Post a Comment